No more prunes

Ellie had her first, and last, taste of prunes yesterday morning.

Let's just start by the obvious: they look disgusting. In the nicest way, you could say it looked like she had chocolate all over her face. But we all know it looked like something else. Something more closely associated with prunes.

Much later in the afternoon, we were in the car headed to our friends' house. The stink came suddenly and powerfully. It was a doozie of a diaper and needed changing STAT. Our friends have kids, so we didn't need to stop and change her en route.

Arriving at our destination, the smell growing exponentially, we whisk ourselves in and are greeted with directions upstairs to the changing table without a word said. I take Ellie out of her car seat and begin to get a glimpse of the carnage. She had pooped through: diaper, onesie, baby legs, pants, jacket, blanket and car seat insert. This was just the beginning.

The poor changing pad never stood a chance. There was poop everywhere. Our friend immediately started running a bath and I took a second to try to riddle out how to get her out of those clothes with the least amount of mess on me. There was no good answer. I just had to dive in.

Once the clothes were off my husband and our friend took them, and the changing pad, down to his laundry (both making gagging noises all the way) and I brought the naked, yet totally smeared with poop baby to the bath. I scrubbed. I rubbed. I got in everywhere. I washed her poor poop-covered head. The smell didn't seem to fade. When I thought she was all clean I picked her up to find a giant pocket of poo still unwashed on her leg. How was that even possible? Back in the tub.

It was a baby Silkwood shower. My poor girl. I could still smell it! But eventually, I could wash no more. Back out of the tub, dry off, cover in lotion so she smelled nice again, and back to the changing table. Miracle! I had packed an extra outfit. I get Ellie dressed and the night is saved.

Until she poops again an hour or so later. We heard it. We were on it! But she STILL pooped through two layers of backup outfit in one quick blast.

The first outfit was now out of the laundry and back on our girl. The backup in a plastic bag for me to wash at home.

She slept in her original outfit last night, because when she went down she slept like a dream. Until 7:30 this morning! It must have been trauma for her too.

No more prunes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment